Links to Registration Forms
School Entrance Age
Children must be 5 years old on or before September 30th of the school year to be eligible to attend Kindergarten. There are no exceptions to this state requirement.
Powhatan County Public Schools offers pre-kindergarten programs for qualified students. To be eligible, students must be 3- or 4-years old by September 30th of the current school year. The application for Virginia Preschool Initiative and/or Head Start programs is linked here in PDF format. An application does not guarantee enrollment into the programs.
Students must reside with a parent or legal guardian in Powhatan County to attend Powhatan County Public Schools. The school system may re-verify Powhatan residency any time a student is enrolled in Powhatan County Schools. Students attend the school in their attendance area unless a variance is granted.
Required Enrollment Documentation
Forms required for school enrollment are listed below. Parents/Guardians may also compete this fillable Powhatan County Student Enrollment form linked here. Adobe Reader is required to complete this form on your computer. Adobe Reader is available for free download and linked here. Please complete the form, save and print it, and bring it when enrolling at school.
To register for school, proof of Powhatan County residence is required by providing one of these documents:
- Deed or lease agreement of a residence in Powhatan County
- Contract to purchase a residence in Powhatan County
- Parents/Guardians submitting a notarized “lives with” form when registering must bring the person they live with. That person must provide proof of county residency, and the parent/guardian must provide two supporting documents with his or her name indicating that he/she resides at this address.
Additional enrollment documentation required:
- One additional proof of address. Acceptable forms include a utility bill or landline telephone bill.
- Certified original birth certificate (or school-age affidavit in accordance with state law)
- Record of a physical examination performed within the last 12 months
- Updated immunization records listing dates of each state-required immunization. More information on Commonwealth of Virginia immunization requirements linked here
- Copy of Current Legal Custodial Documentation, if applicable
- Copy of most recent report card
- Copy of SOL scores (if transferring from a Virginia public school)
- Copy of most recent IEP or 504 Plan, if applicable
- A physical examination is required for any student entering public school in Virginia for the first time in grades K-6. The required Commonwealth of Virginia School Health Entrance Form is linked here