Kindergarten Enrollment

Kindergarten Enrollment

 Welcome! with sunshine 

Welcome to Powhatan County Public Schools! We are very excited to get to know you and your family. We look forward to working with you throughout this wonderful journey!

With school facilities closed, the enrollment process for students starting kindergarten this fall will be online. While this is the preferred method at this time, paper copies are available upon request.

When can children begin kindergarten?
According to Virginia law, a child must be five years old on or before September 30 of the upcoming school year to enroll in kindergarten.

What school will my child attend?
(Flat Rock Elementary, Pocahontas Elementary or Powhatan Elementary)
Please verify the attendance zone for your address at linked here

Please register through our website beginning April 30th. The 3 schools listed below will become active links to an online enrollment form on April 30. This form will allow you to register at your child's appropriate school. After registering, you will be contacted by school personnel to complete the process, share information, and answer any questions.

Registering your child requires specific documentation. Please plan to have the following available when your school’s registrar contacts you:

What immunizations does my child need to have?

  • Diphtheria, Tetanus, and Pertussis (DTaP or DTP)
  • Hepatitis B vaccine
  • Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (MMR) vaccine
  • Polio vaccine
  • Varicella (Chickenpox) vaccine

For information on  immunizations, please see the Virginia Health Department Immunization Requirements are linked here

Proof of Powhatan County residency is necessary for enrollment

Please begin with this initial question: Which best describes you?

  • I am a homeowner or a renter. (Box 1)


  • I am someone who resides with another Powhatan County resident. (Box 2)
Box 1: I am the homeowner or I rent my home. You must provide the following:
  • Monthly mortgage statement, deed, or sales agreement OR a current signed and bonafide lease

AND 1 of the following:

  • Land-line telephone bill
  • Cable or satellite bill
  • Gas bill
  • Electric bill
  • Water bill


Box 2: I live with another Powhatan County Resident. You must provide the following:
  • Notarized PCPS Residency Form linked here or available from your child's school registrar.
  • Two documents that provide proof of homeowner’s residency or renter’s residency (Please see Box 1 for details)
  • A current bill with your name at that address (within 60 days of moving in)

Note: Virginia Code 22.1-264.1, False statements concerning residency of a child carry Class 4 misdemeanor charges.