VISTA Mentoring Program
Volunteer Lunch Buddy Mentors Needed
Powhatan County Public Schools is currently seeking adult volunteer mentors to serve in the lunchtime mentoring program “Lunch Buddies”. If you are looking to serve your community while making a positive impact on a child’s life, this is your opportunity! Qualifications are listed below, and applications are available both online and at the Powhatan School Board Office.
Please return mentor applications to Randy Watts, Program Coordinator, at the Pocahontas Elementary School, 4294 Anderson Highway, Powhatan, VA 23139.
- You must be at least 18 years of age
- Encouraging and supportive
- Patient and flexible
- Tolerant and respectful of personal differences
- Be interested in working with young people
- Be willing to adhere to all program policies and procedures
- Be dependable and consistent in meeting the time commitments
- Attend mentor training sessions as prescribed
- Be willing to communicate regularly with program staff, submit activity information, and take constructive feedback regarding mentoring activities
- Have a clean criminal history
More Information on Becoming a Lunch Buddy is shown below!
How Do I Become a Lunch Buddy Mentor?
Apply to become a Powhatan County Public Schools Volunteer! Information on Volunteer requirements linked here
- If approved, this allows you to volunteer at a variety of school events!
- Contact Randy Watts to obtain a Lunch Buddy application
- Fill out a Lunch Buddy Mentor Application!
- If approved, this allows you to volunteer to mentor a student!
- There is a $10.00 fee for the Child Protective Services form.
- The school system will pay for any other fees in the application.
- Contact the Lunch Buddies Program Coordinator at (804) 598-5717 ext. 2106 for a brief interview to discuss your background and interests in mentoring.
- Attend mentor training: 3 hours to learn and discuss mentoring relationship building. This will be facilitated by your Lunch Buddies Program Coordinator.
- Meet with the Lunch Buddies Program Coordinator at your assigned school to be matched with a student mentee!
- Start getting to know your new lunch buddy!