Electronic Home School Enrollment
PCPS Office of Student Services has instituted an electronic Home School enrollment for the 21-22 school year. All information and supporting documentation will be collected through this Google Form linked here or URL: https://forms.gle/a2xNZMd5XVVHGvdK8. For more information please contact Kelsey Brice at email@example.com.
Anyone interested in Home Schooling their children should contact
Katie Wojcicki, Home School Registrar
phone - 804-598-5700 | fax - 804-598-5705
4290 Anderson Highway
Powhatan, VA 23139
Home School Education Resources
This page contains an assortment of links that have been recommended by homeschool families. PCPS is not affiliated with these organizations. These links are being provided as a convenience and for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement or an approval by Powhatan County Public Schools of any of the products, services or opinions of the corporation or organization or individual.
- http://www.southsidehomeschoolacademy.org/ - Offers classes in Powhatan (at Graceland Baptist Church) to those families who want to supplement what they are teaching at home. Math, science, history, language arts, journalism, finance, art, and now music are currently offered. Some teachers also tutor individually.
- www.VAHomeschoolers.org - Based in Charlottesville, provide useful information and usually have a yearly conference in downtown Richmond
- www.HEAV.org - (Home Educators Association of VA) Richmond-based; hosts a yearly convention
- www.HSLDA.org - (Home School Legal Defense Association; formerly HSLD) Site for legal information regarding the parameters of the laws for homeschooling and homeschooling advocacy
- www.homeschool-life.org - Offers online support groups
- www.rrhegraduation.com - Offers a graduation ceremony for homeschoolers that takes place in Chesterfield each June
- https://bridgeacademyprom.wixsite.com/baprom - Offers a homeschool prom each year
- www.thedovetailgroup.net - Sponsors "TDT - That Dance Thing" - a cotillion that is attended by a large number of homeschoolers and provides structured socialization.
- www.welltrainedmind.com - Curriculum for a Classical Education; has book and website support as well as curricula for purchase
- www.tjed.org - (Thomas Jefferson Education) Leadership education with a focus on evaluative and analytic thinking
- www.setonhome.org/special-learning-needs/ - (Seton Home Study School - provides support for homeschooling parents including curricula containing materials for special learning needs
- www.bjupresshomeschool.com - (Bob Jones University) Homeschool curriculum option that provides a comprehensive, year-long course for strong readers and writers.
- www.liberty.edu/onlineacademy/ - (Liberty University) Homeschool curriculum option
- https://www.pennfoster.edu/high-school - Online homeschool curriculum option
- https://www.keystoneschoolonline.com/ - Online homeschool curriculum option
- https://www.jmhs.com/ - Online homeschool curriculum option
AP Testing for Home School Students
If you wish, your homeschool student(s) can register to take Advanced Placement (AP) Tests through the Powhatan County Public Schools. The tests are not mandatory. The College Board offers AP Tests once a year in May. Many universities offer college credits for a score of 3, 4, or 5 (on a scale of 1 through 5). The 3-hour test is rigorous and designed to be comparable to a final exam in a college course.
Most students prepare for an AP test by taking an AP course specifically designed for that purpose. Powhatan County Public Schools offers a limited number of AP courses: U.S. History, Government, European History, World History, English Literature for 12th grade, English Language for 11th grade, Computer Science, Statistics, Calculus, Chemistry, Spanish and Environmental Science.
AP courses are available online with the Department of Education and through other sources.
To register your student to take an AP Test with Powhatan County Public Schools, you must notify Ms. Marie Crump, Testing Coordinator for Powhatan High School before March first, at 598- 5710 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. There are costs associated with the AP Test. The date and time of the AP Test for your student will depend on the specific test for which the student registers.
Reduced fees are available for students who qualify.
Please notify us if you intend to pursue this option. Powhatan County Public Schools does not offer financial assistance for AP Testing.