Course Guide: Cosmetology
CO8692 (1 credit) - 9th-12th grade
Lab fees and State Board Fee
- Learn in a lab setting to manicure, pedicure and apply and maintain artificial nails, and apply concepts associated with bacteriology, sanitation, nail disorders, anatomy, physiology, and safety.
- This course requires 540 hours divided into two semesters.
CO8745 (3 credits) - 11th grade
- Study of the hair, skin, and nails and their related care
- Grounded in theory as they prepare to practice procedures in a clinical lab setting or classroom, using manikins for manipulative skill practice.
- Emphasizes personal safety, professionalism, and sanitation and disinfection of equipment and facilities.
- Develop skills in shampooing and conditioning hair, as well as styling and cutting hair.
- Introduced to chemical texture services and develop skills in manicure and pedicure.
CO8746 (3 credits) - 12th grade
Lab fees and State Board fee
- Build on the theoretical foundation of general sciences and practices in cosmetology to increase proficiency in hair cutting and styling on live models, with attention to professionalism, client consultation, safety, and infection control.
- Trained in safe chemical processes related to permanent waves, relaxers, soft-curl permanent waves, and coloring hair.
- Develop artistic skills with wigs and hair additions. Care for skin, hands, and feet, developing experience in providing facials, manicures, pedicures, and nail enhancements.
- Business management unit for managing the salon.
- Prepare for the Virginia Board of Cosmetology licensing exam.
- Develop the opportunity to work in a salon for the second semester.